MURUNGAI KEERAI PODI /MORINGA POWDER (SPICY)
Podis are always the most sought after, go handy, a quick pick & a savior in many houses, specially a boon to the working people. Podis can be easily matched with rice, idli, dosa, upma & so…on, at times as dosa spread, can be mixed with Ragi roti dough, thalipeeth etc. Some days I don’t feel like cooking or held up in some other household things or wanted to go for shopping but don’t want to eat outside…..on those days it’s a bliss to have podis on your pantry. Just cook rice or if you’ve dosa batter then it’s the best day, you can prepare a lunch / dinner in a jiffy with lot of happiness on your face that you’re feeding your family the best food. Podis are always kids friendly & have long shelf life.
My green fascination never ends, so I tried this murungai keerai podi & you’ll love to have this healthy podi available all the time. This ever adorable wonder green leaves have enormous medicinal value which is packed with rare minerals & nutrients. Here’s the slideshow of the preparation.
If you like this recipe then click the like button & tag me on Instagram @abysenthil.
–Murungai keerai/moringa leaves – 2 cups
– Roasted peanut- 1 tablespoon
– Chana dal – 1/2 tablespoon
– split urad dal (white) – 1 tablespoon
– Red chilies – 6 to 8
– Salt to taste
– Wash & dry the leaves on a kitchen towel for 1 or 2 hours. Make sure there’s no water before frying the leaves.
– Heat a pan in a low flame & slowly dry roast the murungai keerai, until crispy. It’s better to fry it in batches to avoid clinging of the leaves & to avoid discoloration. Have an eye that the leaves shouldn’t change color, it may end up little bitter in taste.
– Similarly, dry roast the peanuts even if it’s already roasted. No need to remove the skin.
– Likewise dry roast the Chana dal, urad dal & red chilies.
– Let it cool and then grind the roasted chilies & salt together. Then add the roasted peanuts & dals. Once it attained the grainy consistency then add roasted leaves & grind it into a coarse powder.
– Let it cool & store the podi in an airtight container. The smell is irresistible, that’s why this is my favorite leafy vegetable. I adore this podi completely.
Enjoy the healthy ….irresistible…..versatile murungai keerai podi.
You can also simply shade dry the washed leaves until crispy & then grind it into fine powder & store it airtight. Explore the usage & the health benefits. It would take 2 to 5 days to get the crispy texture until then cover the leaves spreaded on a plate with kitchen towel.