PIDI KOZHUKATTAI/RICE DUMPLING
This is one more traditional delicious and nutritious gluten free recipe made of dry roasted rice. Dry roasting the rice makes it more flavourful. This takes about 10 to 15 minutes in a medium or low heat, stirring constantly to brown color. Slow roasting yields a more fragrant and less gritty result. Roasted rice can be stored up to a year in an airtight container and in a cool place in the pantry. This is a healthy dinner/ snack as it is steam boiled.
If you love this recipe then click the like button and tag me on Instagram @abysenthil27.
FOR SWEET/INIPPU PIDI KOZHUKATTAI
- Idli rice/parboiled rice -1/2 cup
- Fresh grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Powdered jaggery -1/4cup or less if you don’t want too sweet
- cardamom powder -1/2 teaspoon
- A pinch of salt
FOR SPICY/KARA PIDI KOZHUKATTAI
- Idli rice/ parboiled rice -1/2 cup
- Finely chopped onion – 1
- Grated ginger – 1 tablespoon
- Split dry red chilli – 2 to 3
- Grated coconut- 2 tablespoon ( optional)
- A sprig of curry leaves finely chopped
- Asafoetida/ Hing – 1/4 teaspoon
- Mustard , Jeera and urad dal – 1/4 teaspoon each
- Salt to taste
FOR SWEET KOZHUKATTAI
– Dry roast the idli rice/ parboiled rice in a frying pan preferably on a cast iron pan/ kadai. Allow it to cool and then soak it in water for almost 3 hours. It absorbs more water.
-After 3 hours drain the water completely….if any. Put it in the blender/mixer and grind it into a grainy powder & don’t make it into a fine paste.
-To this add grated coconut, powdered jaggery, salt and cardamom powder and mix well.
-Make it into slightly elongated dumpling(oval shape) and made an impression with your fingers , so the name pidi kozhukattai. Keep this on a tray and steam boil for 6 to 7 minutes. It’s so soft and flavourful, good for health.
FOR KARA KOZHUKATTAI
-Dry roast idli rice as mentioned above and soak it in water for minimum 3 hours and grind it into a grainy powder like the above.
-Heat a pan in a medium flame & pour 2 tablespoon of coconut oil and add mustard seeds, urad dal, red chilli , jeera , curry leaves, ginger, hing and onion. Sauté well until the onions are translucent and mix it to the rice with salt and grated coconut.
-As said earlier, make into an oval shaped dumplings with finger impressions on it. Steam boil it for 6 to 7 minutes.
You can have as it is no chutney / dip is needed. Make a difference by preparing this kara Kozhukattai with vegetables like carrot, cabbage and bell peppers.