ONION TOMATO CHUTNEY
Onion tomato chutney is the most commonest chutney which can be prepared with many variations. I’m here posting the basic one. You are invited to add roasted split urad dal (1 1/2 tablespoon) and grind it to this basic chutney, or roasted chana dal. Or else add fried curry leaves (1 or 2 sprigs) or mint leaves. Each one gives a different taste and flavour. Enjoy the spicy chutney with variations of your limitless imagination. If you did so please send me that recipe and tag me on Instagram @ Abysenthil27.
- Onion -2 medium size
- Tomato -3 medium size
- Red chilli – 7 to 8 ( Depends on the spicyness of the chilli)
- A pinch of tamarind
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of Mustard seeds, split urad dal and curry leaves for tempering
– Chop the onion and tomato into cubes.
– Heat the pan with a tablespoon of oil and fry the onion, red chilli and tomatoes separately and allow it cool.
– In a mixer, grind all the fried ingredients with salt and tamarind into a fine paste.
– Tempering is must as it adds flavour to the chutney.
Serve this chutney with hot and fluffy idlis, dosa,uthappam and paniyarams. It can also be used as a spread for bread and tortilla wraps.