BAKED KARANJI / SWEET SOMAS
Karanji or Sweet somas or Gujia or Nevris are all Indian sweets which have a similar appearance and differs slightly with the stuffing. Karanji has stuffing with desiccated coconut & dry fruits, sweet somas prepared in the southern part of India has fried gram dal and coconut stuffing, Gujia has sweetened mawa stuffing and again Nevris has grated cocunut & dry fruits with jaggery stuffing and all are deep fried. Except Nevris I’ve tasted all and all are delicious and tempted to have more. I just wanted to try it without frying so baking is the best option, moreover I tried making it with the pastry sheets to have a simple and easy way of doing it. Here’s the presentation of the simplest method of making oil less karanji / sweet somas.
If you love this then please click the like button and tag me on Instagram @Abysenthil27.
- Pastry sheets – 10, thawed
- Desiccated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Almond powder -2 tablespoons
- Sweetened condensed milk -1/4 cup
- Silvered almond & pistachio – 1 tablespoon
- Finely chopped raisins- 1/2 tablespoon
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- A pinch of Jaifal/ nutmeg powder
- Melted butter – 1 tablespoon
– In a bowl, mix desiccated coconut, almond powder, condensed milk, cardamom & nutmeg powder and give it a good stir. Add nuts and raisins. Keep aside.
– Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.
-Cut the pastry sheets into a circle shape using cookie cutter or with a circle lid.
-Apply water all through the sides and fill the stuffing inside & fold into half. Seal it and fold the sides in a slightly twisted pattern.
– Arrange them on the lined or greased baking tray. Brush it with melted butter and bake it for 6 to 8 minutes at 160 degrees temperature. Be careful as the pastry sheets are thin, it might burn easily. So after 5 minutes have a check.
-Once done ,Take out and let it in the tray for two minutes, if needed brush it with melted butter.
It’s very light and crispy and tastes soooo good you can’t stop taking another…….let it be its oil less.