FOXTAIL MILLET /THINAI ,ONE POT MEAL ( kichdi)
Millets are becoming an integral part of our cooking now, like the olden days and it’s gluten free.Being aware of the nutrients imbibed in it, it’s been the most recommended diet nowadays and it’s very much suitable for kids too. Initially I was so skeptical and started of with making dosas only, as its a completely preferred dish in our house and most of the houses. Then I slowly introduced upmas and kichdis with an attractive accompaniment, so that my kid won’t be too fussy. One pot meals are always preferable on a lazy day (most of the days are).
If you like this then do press the like button below and write your valuable comments. If you’re not lazy enough, then please do tag your kichdi picture on Instagram at Abysenthil27.
🌟Foxtail millet /Thinai/ Kodo millet – 1 cup
🌟Split green gram/ moong dal/ pasi paruppu – 1/4 cup
🌟Onion & tomato , finely chopped – 1 each
🌟 Green chilli -1 split
🌟Green leafy vegetable like moorungai leaves or Mint/ pudina
Adding green leafy vegetable is completely optional but it gives an extra flavour to the dish & green craving is fulfilled.
🌟Mixed vegetables – 3/4 cup
( I’ve added carrot, beans, potato, cauliflower and green peas)
🌟Ginger garlic paste -1 teaspoon
🌟Chilli powder and coriander powder – 1 teaspoon each
🌟Roasted jeera powder – 1/2 teaspoon
🌟Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
🌟 Asafoetida or hind -1/4 teaspoon
🌟crushed pepper and salt for seasoning.
🌟Mustard -1/2 teaspoon
🌟Jeera – 1/2 teaspoon
🌟Split urad dal -1/4 teaspoon
🌟A sprig of curry leaves
– Rinse the foxtail millet and the green gram well and soak it for minimum half an hour.
– Meanwhile cut the vegetables of your choice and availability.
– Heat a heavy bottomed deep pan or cooker and pour 1 tablespoon of oil.Temper it with the ingredients given for tempering, then add onions. When it becomes translucent, then add tomatoes and a pinch of salt to cook them faster. Then add all the vegetables and sauté well . After 3 to 4 minutes, add all the spice powders and give it a stir.
– Then add water. The proportion of water for millets are 1:3, as it absorbs more. Then season it with salt and pepper.
– In the cooker, allow it to cook for 10 mins in low flame, after one whistle. In the pan allow it to cook for 20 to 25 mins with frequent stirring.
– Serve hot by adding a spoonful of clarified butter or ghee with sambar or coconut chutney.